One of our friends gave birth this morning, which means it’s time to organise a gift. I’m not one to buy baby clothes as I know people love buying them and babies end up with so many.
Since falling pregnant myself and picking up lots of handy tips from mums I follow on Twitter, I thought that it would be nice to put my new knowledge to good use and create a special hamper.
The lovely thing about creating your own hamper is that you can add as many different things as you like / can afford, so even just a few of these ideas put together can make a thoughtful and unique gift next time you want to welcome a little one in to the world.
1. Teether keys – I don’t know when I started buying keys for new babies but I’ve done it for a long time now and it’s become something of a tradition. I’m sure they come in handy at teething time.
2. Water wipes – These can be used from birth and are recommended for even the most sensitive skin. It seems to me that they will be much more convenient than damp cotton wool for parents getting to grips with nappy changing for the first time.
3. Chocolate cigars – It doesn’t seem quite appropriate to buy the father a real cigar, so these are intended as a comedy substitute. Hopefully they taste good too!
4. Thermos mug – I’ve lost count of the number of posts, tweets and comments I’ve read that refer to a new mum’s inability to enjoy a hot cup of tea. Hopefully this mug will increase the chances.
5. Lavender oil – My friend swore by lavender baths as a means of soothing post labour pains, so I’m going to take her word for it that this is essential.
6. Lansinoh cream – This is another much recommended product, which I am assured breast feeding mummies should not be without.
7. Large muslin swaddle blanket – I read a blog post recently that recommended large muslin swaddles for their versatility. They can also become car seat blankets, breast feeding covers, ground cover for impromptu tummy time, and extra protection against baby sick down your shoulder.
8. Milestone cards for mums – I’ve added these because they’ve been shared a lot on social media lately and I think they’re hilarious. Every new mum needs to celebrate small triumphs.
What was the most useful thing you were given as a new mum? Let me know in the comments if there’s anything I’ve missed.
*This post contains affiliate links